Saturday, September 02, 2006

Today.....
I had an interesting conversation with my grandfather, whom I hadnt seen in quite a while. Conversations with him are usually one sided, which isnt a bad thing. They tend to be like the book of Proverbs; jumping topics, but filled with wisdom. He made an interesting statement to me. He said that welfare was the worst thing to happen to black people since slavery, for many reasons. He says the welfare program started when slavery ended. Former slave owners would tell the slaves "You need to feed your family. Give me your acre of land and mule and I will give you fifty cents a week. You can also live on the land and work it, just give me a part of the proceeds." He says welfare turned the hardest working people inept by taking away their drive to work. He says that funds allocated to the states for minoroties was misused for the longest, and when blacks got wind and demanded them, they were used to build rec centers in each city, instead of other uses, and that crack was created and distributed by the CIA to destroy the black community. He says a lot. Some people say all old black men are angry at white people. There may be some truth to that, but he made some interesting points. He ask since cocaine is needed to make crack, and crack is only in the poorest community, who was buying the coke? And where were they buying it from? He says that for the longest time, all guns found in black communities said "Made in China", which means they all came from the same source? It was a long conversation, as you can see. Its funny, though, how we have never had a conversation like that before, yet can both be conspiracy nuts. I use the term loosely, because I think many of the urban legends black people believe are based on some truth. Some of the truths we know are even more outrageous than the rumors, so I dont find sayings like "crack was created intentionally to destroy the black community" too far fetched. I wonder if being a conspiracy theorist is genetic? Ive noticed of late how alike my mama and I are. Its a good feeling to think we would be friends in another life. My sister is driving me crazy. She is doing freestyle kareoke as loud as she can. Ka-re-o-ke. That doesnt look right. Between watching this movie(Flight 93), hearing her racket, and hunger, I cant even thing straight. I think its time to eat. This movie kinda sucks, by the way. I can see why people were dissapointed. Pizza and hot wings? So much for regaining that six pack I lost...-j

No comments: